Post Mull, I worked in a small DGH acute medical unit as a locum (temporary doctor). It was pretty eye-opening having never been a locum myself. The unit were clearly having staffing issues with most of those there from various agencies.
Most of the locums were in a similar position to myself- on an "F3" aka the medical gap year. Some were more senior though and I soon realised these were not doctors in ever intended to go into training. Quite the opposite. I was frankly a bit appalled by (not all) but some of their lazy behaviours. Despite being paid a premium they clearly worked inefficiently and knowingly so. It was like meeting the antithesis of every medical students' idol. They weren't bad people (one could argue) but they were certainly bad doctors. I was encouraged however that the permanent members of staff, though clearly working in less than adequate conditions, strived to do their best and tried not to allow the daily staffing issues take away their smiles and admirable bedside manner. I was also moved by my fellow compatriots - we each were caring for probably more patients than we ever had done, doused with extra responsibilities in a unit unfamiliar to us, but despite this they would offer to help me and answer my endless questions about the computer system, and likewise I would chip in what I could. The camaraderie was palpable.
And whilst one day in particular will stick in my mind - a no lunch, no time to go to the bathroom sort of day - ultimately no matter the stresses, I found my love for medicine rekindled once more. No matter how bad the day is I can't deny the exhilaration felt when you correctly diagnose and treat a problem, and in some small way help someone through a difficult time in their life. Every down has twice the ups. And so despite me thinking quite certainly I was going to be a GP... I've now realised that I must spend at least some more time in hospital post Australia! Life can be funny like that.
Other than that I've done some teaching, finished off some research recruitment (woo!) and have been to Canada to see my family - a trip that turned out to be unexpectedly personally and culturally important but that I won't bore you with. I've also set up an Australian bank account, booked accommodation, arranged meet ups with everyone I care about and that leaves me just under 2 weeks until I head Down Under. Time to start thinking about packing... maybe :P
No comments:
Post a Comment