Wednesday, 21 September 2016

Brisbane, Australia!

Hello from Down Under!

It's only my 5th day here but my life has changed so much in that time... in a good and exciting way :) New friends, new flat (moving in this wkend!), new job, and a totally new way of life!

Every night I keep thinking I should pen down daily the new things I've seen and the surprises I've experienced but then seem to run out of time ...so here are my top 8!

1) From the moment I landed I've been touched by how friendly everyone is here. My airbnb hosts came to pick me up from the airport at 2230 despite starting work the next day at 0700... the supermarket lady taught me to how to use the buses... to my patients who tell me "Alex, you'll stay". Also no one in hospital gives you any hassle for referring or requesting. I mean it's their job no? The pharmacist actually said to me "don't feel you need to look after everything. There are separate teams for that."

2) Australian wildlife is as wild as it gets... a few examples:
Every morning at dawn I wake up to the raucous cries of birds. It feels like you're in a rainforest!
I'm also used to the sound of cats running on the roof - actually the sound of possums scurrying. Oh and random insects/spiders everywhere. Thankfully no tarantulas yet.
The ibis (a bird! That's what the hotel chain is named after - nope I didn't know that either) is also crazy. One stole my lunch on day one. Google image them - they look like they're from the jurassic era and are as common here as pidgeons in central London.
Oh and wild "bush turkeys" roam the streets. Google image them too. They look so important!

3) The Aussies are so. laid. back.
It's almost like time has another meaning! They also love to chat and joke. Even at work. To the point where I admit it irritated me beyond belief on my first day at work but it does make the work environment seem extremely relaxed! I think I just need to adjust!

4) They love organic. Anything that can be organic should be organic it would seem.

5) Brits are everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE. Two of my patients told me I must be from London just today!

6) Stuff is expensive. Who charges £3 for a pouch of instant noodles? The Aussies.

7) Brisbane is a rise and sleep early kind of city (due to the heat). My present job starts at 0630! The concept seemed initially crazy but I'm already kind of used to it and actually quite like it that way. It makes sense to utilise daylight! Also it means you have so much more time in the hospital day... e.g. if the patient is aiming to leave at 10am, you have 3 hours (rather than <1) to sort it all out! Plus if I ended on time (more on that another time) I would technically have a whole half day to do whatever I pleased!

8) There are so many words (and drug names) that are different here. My favourite example is Pom which means a Brit. Sounds like a bad word right?! But kind of cute. Like half a pom pom.

Overall it's really great. Whilst I do miss my family and friends, I love the people, the weather (that may change in the summer), the attitude (can do), the lifestyle... Sounds dangerously good and it is!!

Planning to commence a new blog for this year soon. Watch this space! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment