Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Day 3 to Week 3

In a way it feels like we've been doing this forever but really we (and our patients) have survived just 3 weeks on the wards! I feel like the learning curve is still almost as steep but certainly we are also getting to grips with the daily tasks we need to perform. At least when we are asked to do something, you feel less like a rabbit standing in the headlights of multiple Landrovers... initially each day of work felt like a 12-hour long exam!

I myself have done days on call, anaesthetics shadowing, days managing the surgical high dependency unit, a week of nights and now am what they call the "twilight" down South or the "backshift" up here. (They have their own terminology for a LOT of things.)

Working in such a big unit means we are rotated through all these different positions which enable us to pick up a broad range of skills. HDU and nights you are less (but well) supported and are expected to assess unwell patients on your own. Of course at first this is daunting especially when people are very sick, but everyone has to start somewhere and as I say though there are fewer seniors to call, they come quickly when you need help. This is particularly important at night time where we are essentially the only person on the ground for about 150 surgical patients. In fact, what I've found surprising is I have enjoyed these experiences more than the "day job" where as a junior there is a lot of administrative paperwork to do - the discharges, the booking of procedures or investigations, and the odd clinical tasks but very little of the thinking that you train for so many years to do!

There have been lower points too - I've definitely sampled the blood, sweat and tears of the job with much more of that to come, but in any job this is to be expected. Mainly this derives from I guess the high expectations from the team and patients, and yourself. But it also drives excellent care of which I'm pleased to say I believe my hospital delivers on. It's Edinburgh's second largest unit - one of two teaching hospitals, and is the slightly older one - less modern and more humble and unassuming but people work hard and really know their stuff. Staff from all areas are also generally very friendly which makes a big difference, from the seniors (generally!) to nurses, support workers and the tea ladies.

So really, whilst the hours and the work is testing at times, I can't complain too much ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment