Thursday, 29 August 2013

And so the whirlwind (academic year) begins one final time...

So again much time has flown since my last post, but I have been having fun!

My final year is now in full swing and already I have completed my first placement of 3 weeks in A&E.

I unexpectedly loved every minute of this. It was extremely busy, and due to the NHS' 4 hour target for patients who come to A&E, everyone works quickly and there is little waiting around - something that marries well with my slightly impatient nature ;) I also got to do lots of practical procedures which will come in handy for next year when we will be let loose on the wards ourselves!

Since then, I have spent just a few days so far in an oncology (cancer) unit which has been very different. I have been moved by the stories of people whose lives have sadly been touched, and sometimes devastated, by what is I believe to be one of the most terrible conditions to experience, be it for the patient, their carers or their family and friends. Luckily, where I have been placed, is an excellent centre where the staff are truly excellent, and really quite inspirational. Likewise, I overheard a patient say the other day "what cannot be cured, must be endured" - and again I have been very much in awe of the resilience of those I have seen battling through their treatment and disease.

Enough medical talk - on a lighter note, though August is coming to an end, the sun is still revealing itself so I hope you have been making the most of this!

Further lighter notes / posts coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment