Sunday, 21 April 2013

An eye-opening Weekend

After finishing possibly my toughest 7-week attachment of medical school last week, I really needed an injection of rest and inspiration this weekend! Luckily the sunshine came out and I had exciting plans. I didn't realise I would end the weekend feeling quite so elated and inspired however!

Supper Club-bing
On Friday evening, I attended my first supper club run by an ex-investment banker turned chef. His story is very unusual - born into a Japanese/Italian family, brought up in Brazil, but educated in England, the word "international" certainly springs to mind. After quitting the job he hated, he decided to do what he really loved: cooking. He went to the world-renown Cordon Bleu school and after that set up a Japanese and French supper club in his home. Supper Clubs, in case you haven't heard of them yet, are a fairly recent addition to the London food scene and essentially are like little restaurants run in people's homes.

What I found impressive was how one person could be the restaurant manager, advertiser, head chef, sous chef, waiter and host all in one!

I also left really quite in admiration for someone who clearly had a true passion, but also was brave enough to follow that passion. Which means learning, training, cooking, testing and tasting for hours on end and only then being able to contemplate the idea of housing 27 people in your home for 3 nights a week, and preparing for days more besides. The precision and attention to detail that transforms home-cooking into gourmet food also gave me food for thought..!

If you're intrigued, I would highly recommend banding a few friends along to http://www.thelondonfoodie.co.uk/p/the-london-foodie-supper-club.html

Alternatively there are many supper clubs (for all kinds of cuisines) listed here:
http://www.edibleexperiences.com/search/United%20Kingdom/London/popups/Sub-category/Supperclubs

TEDMEDLive at Imperial College 
Today I attended TEDMEDLive at Imperial (my university). TED is an initiative that was set up in the U.S. to provide a platform for innovative, talented people on the forefront of their fields to air their thoughts to a wide audience. Usually they run day events comprising of short lectures which are also streamed live on the internet. They have a very strong following and though I had heard much of the hype, I'm not much of a internet video watcher. Then I heard TEDMEDLive (TED but focussing on ideas relating to medicine) was coming to the first time to the UK, and was conveniently was being organised by my own medical school.

The event was actually held at the Royal Geographical Society, a little known but beautiful building next to Imperial's South Kensington campus. Once inside, even I, slightly sleepy from an early start, couldn't help but feel a little excited by buzzing atmosphere.

The talks began - most live, and some on video, picked from recent TED events in the U.S.

Every speaker captivated the audience, masterfully engaging with us with their sometimes theatrical-like performances whilst also clearly and simplistically demonstrating their ideas, thoughts or research.

We heard about steps were being taken into complete organ generation from stem cells - imagine if you needed a kidney transplant, and you could have one made to order! There was a performance from an Anaesthetist who writes and sings very successfully as part of the group the Amateur Transplants - they wrote the song London Underground which you may have heard. (YouTube it if not..!) We heard about 'crowd funding' - an idea where the public could help pay for research, rather than large pharmaceutical companies who tend only to be interested in research that will in the long term be (very) profitable for themselves. A paramedic from Israel described how he set up a community-led ambulance service so someone who requires a health team are seen to on average within 3 minutes by locals who have been trained in medical basics. We also heard from a gay man who told us his journey from being repressed by his family in an age when homosexuality was thought to be an "illness" to now writing for a prominent national American newspaper, and has helped spread the word about many discriminated groups (from those with learning difficulties to the deaf community) who are in part thanks to him, becoming more accepted in society.

All in all, the event was truly inspirational. The talent was almost palpable in that room. And I am so grateful to have witnessed it.

All the lectures will be Live on the internet soon. I encourage you to be part of the TED movement :)
http://www.ted.com/

I'll put the links to some of my favourite talks from the day here when they are made available!

The Anaesthetist who also sings (hilarious) medically-related songs. One half of the band the Amateur Tranplants.

Exactly what it says...!


No comments:

Post a Comment