Saturday, 16 July 2016

An inbetweener

Well in 2 months I'll be on the opposite side of the world! 2 years has quickly condensed to 2 weeks and I find myself desperate to enjoy every last minute of living in Edinburgh. I never realised how attached one/I could feel to a place and I know (cringe curtains at the ready!) here will always hold a special place in my heart. The people here are much warmer than those I grew up around - they look out for you, even if you might never have met before, and help you out where they can. The scenery continues to stun me (especially when the sunshine graces us with occasional rays!) and the variety of activities I've tried/learnt on Edinburgh's doorstep continue to surprise me: from climbing a munroe or two on a weekend, to slipping your feet into wet sand after work or fishing in a loch just because you can! I've also met life long friends who I have literally experienced blood, sweat and tears with, and that can only make your bonds stronger ;)

This week was one of a little upheaval. I moved towards the north east end of the city near the Shore with a university friend. We are close but funnily enough until I moved in I don't think I appreciated how close! The first morning I woke to a feeling of "where am I?!" and had to be reminded by the seagull squawks of the day's previous motions. My new route to work is a 45minute walk through some of the most beautiful parts of the city (Princes Street, the Royal Mile & the Meadows) and I love it. On night three I stayed up until 2330 to have an interview with a hospital in Melbourne and found out immediately I could have a post in February! I was ecstatic. Since then my sleeping pattern has been erratic so I allowed myself to catch up a bit today before meeting with my closest Edinburgh friends for a meal at the Kitchin. A michelin starred yet homey and super Scottish restaurant now 10 minutes from where I live. Very dangerous! It was delightful and yes I realise how tough I'm making life sound!

Tomorrow endeth the week and we're going fishing in the countryside. I'm hoping for a fish supper! ;)

Then there'll be 2 weeks of solid-ish working following by a few weeks of solid-ish non-working!! Then the much big-ger move to Brisbane (& now Melbourne). I'm sure there'll be a move back to bonnie Edinburgh one day though... One day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment