I have looked forward to this day in a long time. The day after one week of leading an elective team, followed swiftly by a dreaded seven days on call - a week that on paper should amount (legally or illegally) to 90 hours of service. In reality of course it was far more. It was an endurance test. Initially adrenaline keeps you waking up at 6am, despite having only reached home sometimes at 11pm the night before often without lunch and only minimal water. I'm probably making it sound silly, but the reality is you are so busy food rarely crosses your mind! Then you start relying on adrenaline, a strong dose of caffeine and a mid-morning KitKat.
Yesterday, the last of the seven, felt a bit like the end of a long race... you don't think you can keep going but you can see the end in sight. By about midday, I felt very disorientated. Words I uttered didn't quite make sense - small tasks seemed more mammoth. Like in the early hours of the morning after a few nights of work.
But we all survive! And the patients too.
Now I have eighteen (hopefully) blissful days to catch up on admin, my part-time degree, see my family and venture to Turkey! :D
Sometimes I'm not sure if it's oxygen or adrenaline that really keeps us going.
No comments:
Post a Comment