Saturday, 12 July 2014

Down Time

I think "down time" is such a rare thing in life. When are we not working/studying/preparing for exams...? Even holidays require planning, and can be very intense once you're enjoying them! I guess there is always something to do on our endless to do lists.

At the moment, I'm at one of those rare points in my life where I expected there to be, if I'm honest, quite a bit of down time... that transient period between two important phases of your life: university and work. I thought it would be a bit like being between school and university again - except then I had the luxury of many months rather than just one. But, of course, it hasn't quite panned out as expected!

Instead, I find myself trying to maximise on what could be my down time ;) mainly spending time with my family or seeing friends, plus the organising necessary of anyone about to move city/country for the first time! (More on that later?) But then the list of everything I'm putting off grows simultaneously longer...

For example, as I type, I am surrounded by far too many items that the hoarded in me deems to precious to throw out... My room has been a complete tip since coming my back from my world trip, and is unlikely to become much neater anytime soon I fear! Every time I start to move things back where they should be, something else crops up!

Perhaps, part of me doesn't want to start clearing it and packing everything into boxes... perhaps that slight fear of a new place, a new job, new people, becomes more real when I think about why this time when I finally clean up the mess, it's not simply because it was unbearably so, but because there is a new phase of life creeping up on the horizon. And one with probably far less "down time"...!


No comments:

Post a Comment